Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Glocester Grind Race Report

I know we've had some nice weather in the past for this race but for some reason I always associate the Glocester Grind with 45 and raining. Given that, I was pretty excited for the mild temps and clear skies we had on Sunday. Not to mention the dry spring and the lack of rain the last few days meant we were in store for the driest Grind we'd ever seen. That doesn't mean it was dry, just not as muddy as we're accustomed to. You only had to go a few feet into the woods to realize conditions were as good as it gets

First mud pit on course. This is usually a soupy mess filled with water
As I was checking out the start Max Beaupre came through absolutely killing it on is way to 1st Junior in the Novice race.

I'm saving this picture for when anyone ever says they are too small to ride a 29er
Pre-riding during the Novice race was being discouraged so I headed out for a quick warm-up on the road. We had a little snafu with one of the kids soccer games on Sat. and I didn't manage to get out for a ride, but the legs felt descent. I put a spare water bottle near the start finish and headed over to staging.

We had maybe a dozen or so in the Vet2 group at the line. Unlike last week where we had over a 1/2 mile of double track to sort things out, the start at Glocester gives you about 100yds before you hit the first mud hole (pictured above). There were also reports of a not so new bridge maybe a foot wide that you had to go over. The alternate lines were taped off and there would be no running through the mud if someone muffed it, so there was a distinct advantage to being in front. I was 2nd wheel when we hit the woods. Fortunately, the guy in front didn't take my preferred line and a couple turns later I was by him and building a little lead. That lasted all of 15 seconds when when a root sent me into the trees. I don't know if there was already a crash behind me, but only Scott Hood passed while I was untangling myself. Scott quickly put 5 then 10 seconds into me and that's pretty much how the rest of the race went. I would occasionally see Scott a turn or two ahead and yell at him to slow down but he wasn't playing my game. I'd also catch glimpses of a couple JRA riders a few turns back, but no-one was closing in on me either. By the time we hit where they had logged the legs were starting to check out as well. It was clear I didn't have the extra gear to chase down Scott. I was going to have to just grind out the next 2 1/2 laps and finish up.

The Masters leaders caught up to me part way through lap two. Bob Bisson came by first and I rode his wheel for a bit until he crashed in the rock garden a little ways into the 2nd half of the lap. He came by me again at the end of the logged section. John Beaupre came by just after the super boney rock garden. I stayed with him for a little bit, but we parted ways just before the end of the lap.

The last lap was uninspired. I started picking lines instead of attacking them as thoughts of don't break something (me or the bike) started creeping in. I made my was around the course without incident and finished up in 2nd place in 1:33:53. Scott was first in 1:31:43. I looked back at the last couple years and 2 min seems to be the standard gap that Scott beats me by here. Business as usual I guess. Brian McInnis finished third not far behind in 1:34:37.

In a reversal of last week, John Beaupre also came in 2nd while Karen Potter won the Elite race. Fortunately, we hadn't come down together so we didn't have to listen to her on the way home ;)

Full results are here and the wicked gnaahly Dirtwire coverage is over here.


Doing things that challenge you is how you get better at something. Unfortunately, despite the fact I've done this race the past 7 years now, the Glocester Grind is still not in my comfort zone. I suppose that's why I keep going back. Well, that and it's only 25 miles from my house.



No comments: